The object of Minesweeper
The object of Minesweeper is to find all the mines as quickly as possible
without uncovering any of them.
To play Minesweeper
- On the Game menu, click New.
- To start the timer, click any square on the playing field.
- The game area consists of the playing field, a mine counter, and a timer.
- You can uncover a square by clicking on it. If you uncover a mine, you
lose the game.
- If a number appears on a square, it indicates how many mines are in the
eight squares that surround the numbered one.
- To mark a square you suspect contains a mine, right-click it.
Strategies and tips
- If you are uncertain about a square, right-click it twice to mark it with
a question mark (?). Later, you can either mark the square as a mine or uncover it by
right-clicking again once or twice.
- When you have marked all mines around a numbered square, you can quickly
uncover all empty squares around it by clicking that square with both mouse buttons. If not all
mines touching the square are marked, the uncovered touching squares will flash.
- Look for common patterns in numbers, which often indicate a corresponding
pattern of mines. For example, the pattern 2-3-2 at the edge of a group of uncovered mines
indicates a row of three mines next to the three numbers.